The QCLNG Curtis Island project is the first LNG project in the world to convert coal seam gas into liquefied natural gas (LNG). The project is being constructed by Bechtel Oil, Gas & Chemicals.
The ConocoPhillips Optimized Cascade Process uses gas turbines to drive compressors in the liquefaction process. In addition, gas turbine generators are used to provide power to the LNG plant.
The black start power for the gas turbine generators is provided by essential generators. In determining the function of the essential generators, the system designer has many factors to consider including:
· The method for the black start, considering the fuel e.g. diesel or natural gas
· The bus configuration
· The synchronizing points
· The automation sequences of operation
· Live bus transfer for transfer to plant and transfer to essential diesel generators
· Import / export control
· Essential and non-essential load control
· Load shedding
· Exercising of the generators
· Protection, inter-trips and interlocking systems